Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Choices

My friend was telling me how her daughter, in eighth grade, had applied and been accepted to a very good private school. It was her first choice of schools and mom and daughter were obviously very pleased. I was pleased for them too but little did they know the turmoil that was occurring in my mind.

The daughter had applied to eight different schools and each application had required its own separate essay. Eight different essays had been written.

It is not my friend’s fault that she would not see that this school, or any of the eight schools, would not be on the radar screen for my own daughter. How would my own dyslexic daughter handle that application process as she struggles with writing? She is in sixth grade, so we do have two years in which to build towards such a process. But, as my friend innocently expressed her delight, I had already come to the conclusion that these schools would not be an option for my daughter. I hope I am proved wrong. Would I like all options to be available to her? Of course, but at the moment it appears they are not. We will wait to see.

No comments: