Monday, May 21, 2007

Expectations

It’s funny how in our Western culture there are just some things you expect will be a “definite” in life, like being able to read and write! In our culture, learning to read and write is easily available. But, being able to take advantage of that availability does not mean that reading and writing will be learned easily.

My expectation was that my children would learn to read and write, just as I did. But two out of three of my children struggle with reading and writing! They would probably like to read. But they can’t - easily. It’s a uphill struggle for them. Therefore, they read little and they write little.

My wake-up call is continually telling myself that reading to learn and writing to convey knowledge is not the way for them! They need alternatives and so I am on a journey to find those alternatives.

No comments: